Monday, June 13, 2011

1. Introduction

This blog serves as a counterpart to the necessarily concise written and verbal descriptions of this project available at the Salt Lake Art Center Website and the call in number (~30 word and ~90 second, respectively). Both of those descriptions make it readily apparent that there is much more to convey about this massive creative undertaking. This first post helps establish a context of what has been done before and what has come about since the advent of GGEYHO.



This house was built in 1900 and I moved in 108 years later. Fast forward to Fall 2010. Using a tiller borrowed from Wasatch Community Gardens - Tool Lending Library my ex-girlfriend and I ripped the remaining lawn. I made a harvest bouquet of corn stalks sunflower stalks, and grass fronds, and then set it in the middle, and that was the way it remained until early Spring 2011.



Upon notice of GGEYHO, I had already hatched the terrace hemisphere in my mental image of the space, and I knew this was the extra impetus for me to go all out. First came planting the strip and south bed (north of driveway was from 2010). The majority of plants in the front were transplanted this spring. One main source is my neighbors to the west. The other major source was the Department of Natural Resources xeric garden, which was plowed to make way for the North Temple Trax line. Some friends actually volunteered to help trench for the terrace border, and then I placed the logs throughout the night.



After that point I really launched into the pieces entered for this exhibition. Stay tuned for ten more blog posts that provide insights, or inside jokes, about the pieces in the written description.



~1900: Approximate Original




~2008: Approximate Purchase