Friday, June 17, 2011

6. Backside of Art

Apparently, half of this entry is disqualified because it is not visible from the sidewalk, even though it is in plain sight from the public right of way in the alley running behind the property. In fact, this action may have excluded what I perceive to be the most creative aspect of this landscape. That’s because I have asserted ownership of this alley, where almost everybody else turns their back to it. Not only do I improve the visual appeal, these perceived “eyes on the street” could contribute to a safer atmosphere. Irrespective of any contest, please try to observe the perceptible shift in atmosphere when one witnesses intention juxtaposed with neglect*.


If you happen to be on the jury, you may not want to read the four next blogs unless you are on the sidewalk in front of my house, BUT don’t stray too far, or else miss the grand finale…

* One way I have tried to bridge that gap myself has been to guerrilla garden the alley with sunflowers transplanted from my folks house. Shout Out to Salt Lake Urban Guerrilla Gardeners (SLUGG), who have also made a valiant contribution to this exhibition.